Saturday, June 2, 2012

Seed saving unlocks our past, key to our future

   While I'm a lover of genetics and intelligent lab manipulations to help with medecine and food, I agree it's vital that we maintain a stock of the original material, in this case "heritage seeds."  People are smart, but sometimes we get it wrong, and when we do, we can get it wrong big time when it comes to fiddling with natural evolution.  Geneticists can speed up the process of altering a plant to suit a particular environment, but it's vital that we be able to go back to the original, slowly evolved varieties.  If we all planted even one variety each per growing season it would greatly help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I studied microbiology/genetics, then shifted to the more purely creative fields of writing and painting. I’m passionate about my work, currently an ambitious Science Fiction drama, as well as reading, karate, horses, cats, gardening, creative cooking, and my family.